Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center (ERIC)
National Vietnam Veterans Longitudinal Study Registry - Survey Instruments
These are some of the survey instruments used in each initiative. Unavailable instruments aren’t included here. Contact NVVLS Registry staff for more information regarding these data collection projects.
National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study (NVVRS) – 1988
NVVRS consisted of two phases: 1) the National Survey of the Vietnam Generation (NSVG) Survey, an in-person interview, and 2) the Clinical Interview, also conducted in-person.
National Survey of the Vietnam Generation Survey (NSVG)
The NSVG survey covered a broad spectrum of adjustment topics such as marriage and family, education and occupation, traumatic life events, and Vietnam experience. The objective was to describe comprehensively the total life adjustment of Vietnam theater Veterans and to compare their adjustment to the adjustment of era Veterans and nonveterans.
A semi-structured diagnostic interview of a sub-sample of theater and era veterans living in specific areas conducted by expert mental health professionals. This interview was designed to provide additional information about the validity of diagnoses made on the basis of information collected in the survey interview, particularly the diagnosis of PTSD.
National Vietnam Veterans Longitudinal Study (NVVLS) - 2013
A total of 1,450 Veterans participated in at least one of the NVVLS, study phases, which included 1) a paper-and-pencil health questionnaire, 2) telephone health interview, and 3) an in person clinical mental health interview. Additional study details are available on the history and formation page and in the NVVLS Executive Summary Report
Phase 3 Clinical assessment instruments
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV (SCID IV) v.2.1
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Prior Treatments v.2.1
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Peritraumatic Distress Inventory Rater Version (PDI-RV)
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Peritraumatic Dissociation Experiences Questionnaire Rater Version (PDEQ-RV)
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Mapping PTSD Course v.2.1
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Assessment of exposure to a life threat during combat (Criterion A)
- NVVLS Clinical Assessment: Clinician Administered PTSD Scale for DSM-5 (CAPS-5) v.2.1
NVVLS Registry characteristics
Review a detailed list of NVVLS Registry characteristics including size, response rate, data collected, and more.